Happy Birthday Ashmole School
Today marks the 50th anniversary of the opening of Ashmole School as we know it but local children have been educated here for much longer than that.
Church Street School first opened on this site in 1879. Like many schools built as a result of the Education Act of 1870, it was a large three storey brick building that would have had over 400 pupils on roll. As the local area changed and the Ashmole Estate was developed, the name of the school was changed to Ashmole School (Church Street ceased to exist as a result of new road layouts).
In 1962, plans were drawn up for a new, modern school to replace the old Victorian building. The initial plans were for a two-form entry school which would have included additional classrooms along Ashmole Place (the service drive entrance to the School) and part of Claylands Road. The original building stood in between the current hall block and main classroom block and remained open whilst the new buildings were constructed. The plans for the second phase were never realised and the one-form entry Ashmole School was officially opened on July 14th 1967.
Pupils have enjoyed learning about the history of their school and we will continue to “work together to make our school as good as it can be” for many years to come.